CIMB Young ASEAN Leaders Programme (CYAL) 2019
About the programme
CIMB Young ASEAN Leaders is a programme with the overarching aim of supporting the exchange of ideas, learning, and cross-cultural experiences among ASEAN youth leaders, and to uplift the quality of life of ASEAN citizens through activities that promote sustainable development, and contribute to building a strong foundation of greater understanding, good neighbourliness and a shared sense of community.
This year, CIMB Foundation and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) join forces for the eighth time to host CIMB Young ASEAN Leaders (CYAL) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 23-27 September 2019. With the theme “Sustainable Indigenous Resources for Renewable Energy”, this 5-day seminar aims to train exceptional ASEAN student leaders to develop skills in using local resources as sources of renewable energy across the region and beyond.
Brief on Sustainable Indigenous Resources for Renewable Energy
The primary goal of this programme is to instil in young leaders that they are the driving force of their countries’ development. ASEAN countries are endowed with vast natural resources that play an important role in sustaining a wide range of essential life and economic benefits. Effective leadership is the driving force behind the real management of these useful resources.
Due to the rapid growth of ASEAN cities, the management of natural resources and securing the population’s basic requirements for food, water and energy, is one of the region’s most critical challenges. An understanding of diversifying and using local indigenous resources as renewable energy is an effective way to address energy security as well as social and economic development and climate change within ASEAN.
In line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), thematic areas SDG 12, 13 and 15 will be the important goals to highlight. The principle is that knowledge of the recommended technology that is disseminated to the Young ASEAN Leaders to meet needs, should be compatible with social, cultural and economic conditions of the country.
The programme will provide insight to the Young ASEAN Leaders and will demonstrate the use of solar, wind and biogas energies for the provision of basic energy needs for the community. From this programme, Young ASEAN Leaders will be equipped with knowledge and ideas on the alternative sources of energy from various indigenous renewable resources.
- Know the concept of indigenous resources for renewable energy in ASEAN
- Understand the process of energy generation from indigenous resources
- Identify the key trends that will shape renewable energy in the ASEAN region
- Identify the challenges of renewable energy in the ASEAN region
- Understand the diversification of renewable energy sources to address climate change and sustainable energy
- Stimulate regional economic growth and development through local resources;
- Know the guidelines on promoting responsible water, food and energy security;
- Develop own ideas that can contribute to the development of each ASEAN city;
- Propose resources for a renewable energy framework that can benefit the community and economy